Student services is staff and services provided by the school division to meet the needs of all students, including those who have exceptional learning needs, in an inclusive school setting. They are under the leadership of the Student Services Administrator. Referrals to professional services are made through resource teachers, counsellors and/or principals. Interlake School Division Student Services adopts the following core values and beliefs as set out by Manitoba Education and Training.
PHILOSOPHY OF INCLUSION
Inclusion is a way of thinking and acting that allows every individual to feel accepted, valued, and safe. An inclusive community consciously evolves to meet the changing needs of its members. Through recognition and support, an inclusive community provides meaningful involvement and equal access to the benefits of citizenship.
In Manitoba, we embrace inclusion as a means of enhancing the well-being of every member of the community. By working together, we strengthen our capacity to provide the foundation for a richer future for all of us.
Inclusive schools provide learning environments that are accessible to all students as places to learn, to grow, to be accepted, and to enjoy the benefits of citizenship. Inclusive schools embrace the following core values and beliefs:
- All students can learn, in different ways and at different rates.
- All students have individual abilities and individual learning needs.
- All students want to feel they belong and are valued.
- All students have the right to benefit from their education.
- All students come from diverse backgrounds and want their differences to be respected.
- Students learn in different places and locations.
- All students have the right to appropriate educational programming.
- The provincial curriculum should be the starting point for educational programming.
- Parents and students must be involved in the individual education planning process.
- The number of individuals involved in planning to meet a student’s needs will increase as the complexity or intensity of the needs increases.